[ZODB-Dev] Using Catalog and BTrees

Christian Robottom Reis kiko@async.com.br
Tue, 22 May 2001 20:14:09 -0300 (BRT)

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Michel Pelletier wrote:

> Cataloging outside of Zope is hard yes, sorry about that.  It waws a hard
> problem over all and at some point I sacrificed the modular design for
> just getting it done.  Bad idea and I think I've learned my lesson (a bit
> ;).

Michel, I'm willing to dedicate the next two weeks to full-time hacking on
Catalog to get it workable and documented minimally for standalone use. If
you and Jim agree to it, I'd like to start as soon as possible on it.

If you (or Jim) can point me out to what needs to be done, I'll be busy
reading and hacking away to get something useful.

I'd also like to know how far away from the current Catalog we are allowed
to go -- should the interface stay stable, but the internals break, or can
we break the interface, too?

This is, IMHO, the single most important point that keeps ZODB from being
a complete persistence solution for Python.

> etc.  Zope indexes are complicated slightly by the fact that they
> store the 'old values' for unindexing purposes in a reverse BTree
> since the object may have be gone or no longer have the old values at
> unindexing time.

Hmmm. Isn't indexing/unindexing done automagically on attribute
alteration?

Take care,
--
/\/\ Christian Reis, Senior Engineer, Async Open Source, Brazil
~\/~ http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 274 4311