[ZODB-Dev] ZClients not updating

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 11:55:54 -0500 (EST)

  TJ> Hello all, We are having some issues with our ZEO clients not
  TJ> updating.  Here is our setup: 2 public zeo clients (zeo
  TJ> 1.04b/zope 2.4.1) on linux 1 private zeo client (zeo 1.04b/zope
  TJ> 2.4.1) on linux 1 StorageServer (zope 2.4.1) on linux

  TJ> the users make changes to the site through the private zeo
  TJ> client, the 2 public zeo clients are for public viewing.  We've
  TJ> noticed that occasionally the changes made on the private zeo
  TJ> client are not propagated to the public zeo clients.  We have to
  TJ> restart them before the changes show up on the public zeo
  TJ> clients.

  TJ> We need some help tracking this down as it is really ticking off
  TJ> our client.  Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

ZEO is supposed to guarantee that this doesn't happen, so we ought to
get to the bottom of it.  It looks like we should start by trying to
understand if ZEO is failing to meet its contract or ZEO is being used
incorrectly (which may in turn be caused by a poor explanation of
ZEO's requirements).

The clients and servers are all runing ZEO 1.0b4 and Zope 2.4.1.  So
you don't have a non-Zope client involved in the process right?  Or a
product that is doing something funky with a particular connection?

Is there anything else unusual about the application that might be
worth considering?  Are you using versions, undo, etc.?

Do you have zLOG output for the system?  Does it contain any unusual
errors or uncaught exceptions?  That's good place to start.  If we see
anomalous messages in the logs, we should try to diagnose them first.
If the logs don't have any errors, it would be good to turn on the
most verbose logging (STUPID_LOG_SEVERITY=-300) and reproduce the
problem so that we have detailed information.

The easiest way to do log anaylsis is to send the logs to Jim and me
-- either private email or work out some file transfer.  I'll be out
of the office tomorrow and all of next week, so be sure to include
both of us.  (Not sure what time Jim will have.)

Sean-- if you're seeing this problem and can track down more data,
that would be helpful, too.

Jeremy