[ZODB-Dev] ZODB transaction audit trail suggestions

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Fri, 02 Aug 2002 08:04:58 -0400

Tim Hoffman wrote:
> HI Jim
>

> On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 20:30, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>Tim Hoffman wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>I need to provide an audit trail for every change to my zope web sites
>>>and am considering a couple of approaches.
>>>
>>>I need to track date time stamp of change, the object changed and what
>>>was changed (i.e. the whole object after the changes or the delta from
>>>the original).  (change being add/update/delete)
>>>

>>It's very possible that you would be better off doing this at the application
>>level. You would have greater control. For example, ZODB doesn't track deltas.
>>It's possible some ZODB changes wouldn't be interesting.
>>

> So do you think I would be better off putting some logging hooks into
> the ObjectManager class ?

I can't anser that because I don't know enough about your application.
I dont' know which events are meaningful. I'll say however, that when we
do this sort of thing, it's usually at a higher level, such as workflow.

Jim