[ZODB-Dev] ZEO signal feature

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 12:07:49 -0400

I'm trying to clear out the backlog of ZEO todo items in hopes of
getting another beta release out soon.  I'd like to accommodate the
use cases that lead to the signal code, but I wonder if we could
consider some other alternatives.

What exactly is the use case for the signal feature?  It looks like a
mechanism to extend the RPC interface by passing method names to the
signal() function.  It seems to duplicate the functionality in zrpc
that determines what method to call based on the name passed in the
RCP message.  If so, it might be more natural to extend the RPC layer
and provide a mechanism for the storage server to export more methods
to the client.

Jeremy