[ZODB-Dev] Looking for sponsors to finish ZEORaid 1.0

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Mon Sep 10 04:56:08 EDT 2007

Hi,

we at gocept started an open source project (ZPL) in the beginning of this year
to make a free implementation of a fail-over/replication mechanism for ZODB/ZEO
available.

We envisioned a solution by applying RAID techniques to ZEO servers. The
project is therefore called "ZEORaid".

We have a working system that I showed off at EuroPython this year and
mentioned at some other places. We received interest from some people
and parties that would like to see this finished.

The current state of ZEORaid is almost alpha quality:
two features missing, a few known edge cases, lots of bugs.

We've set up a road map for what we propose to have available in ZEORaid 1.0
(see attached ROADMAP file).

In the last weeks we were contacted by one sponsor who wanted to help
out with this. We estimate an effort that requires 12k EUR for us to
finish ZEORaid 1.0 according to the ROADMAP.

Our plan involves three participating sponsors who cover 4k EUR each.
One of those has been found already, we need two more.

Our project plan lays out to have all sponsors on board by 30th September.
Work will start in the middle of October and be done in the middle of November.

For details I'd be happy to answer your questions (in private or on the
list).

Christian

PS: If there is a preferred feature you'd like to see in ZEORaid but isn't in 1.0,
we'd be happy to do another round of funded open source work later.