[Zope-Coders] branch madness

Brian Lloyd brian.lloyd@zope.com
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 14:30:29 -0400

> So now we've got 2-4-2b1, I'm confused all over again about branches
> off branches.  Could someone patiently unwind it all for me?
>
> Is 2-4-2b1 rooted off 2-4-2?  Since 2-4-2b1 is a release candidate,
> does this mean all activity on the 2-4-2 branch should stop?  Doesn't
> this mean new bugfixes should now be going into a 2-4-3 branch?
>
> seb

You can ignore that branch. It was only created to make a release
from.

Previously, our policy of "no changes between final beta and final
release" was implemented by no one being allowed to checkin on the
current release branch (Zope-2_4-branch) during the time between
the last beta and final release. That worked ok when it was just
internal, but is more of a pain now with external contributors.

So - what we did this time is make a branch at the point of the
2.4.2 beta (which we expect to be final). If all goes well, in a
few days we'll rip the final *from that branch*, and will not have
impacted anyone else's work (like ongoing bug fixes that will
eventually go into 2.4.3, that are happening on Zope-2_4-branch).

In the event that we did have to make an important change (and
thus another beta), the person responsible would add the needed
extra fix to the branch we're using for the release - still without
impacting others.

So only the folks working on ripping releases have to care about
that branch. Most developers only need to care about the current
release branch and the mainline.

Brian Lloyd        brian@zope.com
Software Engineer  540.361.1716
Zope Corporation   http://www.zope.com