[Zope-Coders] BTrees memory leak?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 12:35:15 -0500

(Note: the following is just idle speculation.)

> I don't understand why you are suspicious of the test suite.  It's
> written in pure Python, and shouldn't be able to create leaks all by
> itself.

Really?  Couldn't a circular reference involving an object whose type
doesn't support garbage collection create a leak?  AFAIK
ExtensionClass objects don't support GC.

> Put another way, if the test suite is leaking object, why do
> think that some other Python program that uses BTrees wouldn't
> experience the same leak.

Maybe the test suite creates circular references but other apps are
more careful to avoid those (because in general ExtensionClass leaks
any cycles you create, and Zope programmers know that)?