[Zope-Coders] test failures in DateTime

Brian Lloyd brian.lloyd@zope.com
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 10:18:18 -0400

> Andreas and I (him more than me)  wrote already a module and tested it.
> Andreas do you still have the results? Using a certain
> configuration we had
> a performance increase of 6-10% I believe. After we were done there were
> only minor issues of places where an mxDateTime module would not
> work right
> away. I think the Catalog was one of them. But I think we could fix that
> fairly quickly.

I believe that backward compatibility is the real driver of this.

I'd be happy to move to using mxDateTime if:

  - We can be 100% backward compatible with people's current
    expectations (without being just as buggy as a result)

    or

  - If we can't be 100% bw compatible, we could focus on a DateTime
    replacement and migration tools for Zope 3. The new version of
    DateTime for Zope 3 would then be more free to get rid of old
    crufty APIs (but we'd be stuck with the current decrepit version
    in the meantime).

Brian Lloyd        brian@zope.com
Zope Corporation   www.zope.com