[Zope-Coders] RFC: Remove funky WebDAV hackery?

Andreas Jung Andreas Jung" <andreas@andreas-jung.com
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 16:53:18 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Withers" <chrisw@nipltd.com>
To: "Tres Seaver" <tseaver@zope.com>
Cc: <zope-coders@zope.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2002 11:50
Subject: Re: [Zope-Coders] RFC: Remove funky WebDAV hackery?

> Tres Seaver wrote:
> > There are at least three places in the Zope2 source tree which make
> > weird changes to the response object, presumably to support flaky
> > Borg-ish clients.
> >
> >   ZServer/HTTPResponse.py -- injects an empty 'Etag:' header, if the
> >     response hasn't set one explicitly.  This behavior is totally
> >     unhelpful;  an empty Etag can't be used properly to do *anything*
> >     that Etags are for;  I am guessing that some client (the way-brokey
> >     WebFolders, perhaps?) won't do WebDAV unless an Etag is present?

The empty Etag header is the workaround to make most M$ WebDAV
implementations
work with Zope (workaround for the "readonly" problem with M$ Word).
A more sophisticated approach might be necessary when Etag headers
are important for a Zope application. However removing this workaroound
would make some people unhappy since they want to work with Zope through
Webfolders

Andreas