[Zope-Coders] checkin messages

Ken Manheimer klm@zope.com
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:08:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Matt Behrens wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 04:22:46PM +0000, Florent Guillaume wrote:
>
> > The following are examples of messages that I consider useless:
> >
> >  - Fix for Collector #123.
>
> Why?  The collector is not exactly secret.

Compared with reading a one-sentence synopsis in the checkin, it probably
takes the reader 10 to 100 times as long to find the right collector and
right collector item.  A brief synopsis and, at least, a link to the
collector issue seems appropriate.

> >  - Merge from HEAD.
>
> Large merges often require a simple catch-all.  On a single merge,
> maybe this is not good.

Large merges or single, including a characterization of what's going on is
appropriate.

I think the rule of thumb is, give the reader a clue about what
specifically the changes are, someplace for them to start.  Help them
decide whether or not it's something that might interest them, so they do
that quickly for each checkin - they can do the work to figure out more if
it seems like something they want to investigate.

--
Ken
klm@zope.com