[Zope-Coders] Re: [Zope-dev] Zope 2.6 planning - call for contributors!

Matt Behrens matt.behrens@kohler.com
Mon, 04 Mar 2002 07:44:16 -0500

From: "Jeremy Hylton" <jeremy@zope.com>

Chris McDonough wrote:

> I dont know... how would you set up, for instance, a Zope "instance home"
> using distutils?

You wouldn't.  Distutils builds the modules in-place before the
installation of a particular software home happens.  Instance homes are
then created simply by making an appropriate directory and populating it
with things that are needed in an instance home (this is currently done
by a 'zope-instance' script that I wrote for the OpenBSD package, see
<http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/www/zope/files/zope-instance?rev=1.3>.)

Just because distutils contains all sorts of bits for the Python way of
life doesn't mean we have to use them. :-)  It works fine for
straight-up building of modules.