[Zope-Coders] Website regression testing tool now available

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
04 Mar 2002 17:11:50 +0000

On Sun, 2002-03-03 at 22:50, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 21:15, seb bacon wrote:
> > I started trying Richard's tool yesterday.  One problem I had was that
> > designing the tests is fairly laborious.
>
> Is designing the tests laborious, or is writing them the difficult part?
> Our tool does try to make the writing part easier, but it's not huge on the
> documentation...

I didn't make any notes and I can't really remember now - sorry.  One of
the problems was that a side-effect of parsing the DOM is that all the
pages need to be error-free or the tests fail.  Now, while that's
obviously a good goal (it picked up a few typos), it also got in the way
of me actually doing any tests, partly because in one case where there
was a missing close tag it took me a while to track it down (I got an
EOF error from the parser).

I also couldn't get a form post to work properly.  I spent about 20
minutes wrestling with it, but despite copying your examples, I couldn't
get it to work.  The error reporting was too vague to help me pinpoint
it and I didn't have the energy to track it down myself.

I *did* like the way you'd factored the most common tasks, but
unfortunately I didn't get much further than the docs :-)

seb

seb