[Zope-Coders] Re: [Zope-Checkins] CVS: Zope/lib/python/DocumentTemplate - DT_Var.py:1.51

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 08:10:59 -0500

> Is adding an environment variable for every global parametrization of
> Zope the right way to do such things ? We could get pretty quickly
> drowned under variables...
>
> At the very least prefix it by ZOPE_ or something.
>
> But in my humble opinion this is creeping featurism. If someone really
> wants to have a non-default level for stx in HTML, let him write an
> external method to do it.

Agreed (without knowing all the issues).  Environment variables are
particularly attractive because they don't require you to think about
how to get the global configuration option all the way down to the
method that needs it -- but at best it becomes a great big mess, and
at worst a security vulnerability.