[Zope-Coders] Zope HEAD doesn't compile on Windows

Brian Lloyd brian@zope.com
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:46:15 -0500

> > > ...which uses grp.h, which doesn't appear to exist.
> > >
> > > If whoever broke this could fix it, I'd be very grateful. Mr Behrens,
> > I believe that's you
> > > ;-)
> >
> > initgroups is a useless concept on Windows, so all that's needed is to
> > somehow conditionally remove it from Setup20 if not on a UNIXy platform.
> >
> > I don't know the first thing about non-distutils building on Windows, so
> > any help here would be appreciated.
>
> My test run uses ExtensionBuilder to build the extensions. Is
> there any way what
> Matt is asking for can be achieved with ExtensionBuilder.py?
>
> If not, how should I be compiling the extensions on Win32?

The plan is for ExtensionBuilder to work. I wish I had paid
closer attention to this :(

Note that this is not the only problem - a cursory Google
search seems to show that there are non-win32 platforms
that are initgroups()-impaired :(

The ideal thing would be for the initgroups module to
detect this and turn itself into a no-op (but compile
successfully), until we have a coherent distutils-based
build approach.