[ZCM] [ZC] 413/ 1 Request "Zope hangs while updating multiple ParsedXML objects"

Collector: Zope Bugs, Features, and Patches ... zope-coders@zope.org
Sat, 01 Jun 2002 14:15:45 -0400

Issue #413 Update (Request) "Zope hangs while updating multiple ParsedXML objects"
 Status Pending, Zope/bug medium
To followup, visit:
  http://collector.zope.org/Zope/413

= Request - Entry #1 by allison on Jun 1, 2002 2:15 pm

This one is hard to localize, but it is easy enough to trigger.   I have a set of nested folders with ParsedXML objects in the leaves (and in some of the interior folders as well).  These are loaded (initially) from an external file system using an external procedure.  Update involves walking the folder structure and deleting the old ParsedXML object and adding a new one.  There are order hundreds of such objects, but each is fairly small (1K-15K or so).  The observed behavior is that the updating moves forward for a while, then stops and does something for a long long time.  Sometimes it returns after minutes, but then gets back into the same state.

When this happens, Zope is pretty much unavailable to any user and locked down.

If the processing is upload mostly with only a few (if any) deletions, the processing goes happily to completion and does not tickle this problem.

Given this behavior, I suspect some sort of locking problem where a lock is not being cleared.

There is an open problem related to ParsedXML (issue #83) which crashes Zope which may (or may not) be related.