[ZCM] [ZC] 599/ 2 Comment "inst/compilezpy.py supresses error messages written to sys.stdout "

Collector: Zope Bugs, Features, and Patches ... zope-coders@zope.org
Tue, 01 Oct 2002 15:24:19 -0400

Issue #599 Update (Comment) "inst/compilezpy.py supresses error messages written to sys.stdout "
 Status Pending, Zope/bug+solution low
To followup, visit:
  http://collector.zope.org/Zope/599

= Comment - Entry #2 by camil7 on Oct 1, 2002 3:24 pm

Uploaded:  "compilezpy.patch"
 - http://collector.zope.org/Zope/599/compilezpy.patch/view

= Request - Entry #1 by camil7 on Oct 1, 2002 3:22 pm

when compiling zope from source via the "./wo_pcgi.py" script, the called "inst/compilezpy.py" first redirects sys.stdout to nowhere before recursively calls "compileall.py" for all relevant subdirectories.

 Unfortunately "compileall.py" creates the error
message like:

     print 'Sorry:', exc_type_name + ':',
     print sys.exc_value
     success = 0

i.e. it writes them to sys.stdout. If a problem occures while compiling the python sources, one only
gets the error message "There were errors during
Python module compilation.", but no clue where the
problem is.

 Ok, this _should_ not happen. However for obscure reasons one of my files was considered to contain
binary (result of NFS confusion) after a CVS update,
thus it happened to me.

 Thus I ask, if one could at least print something to
sys.stderr, if the compilation within a directory
failes, thus one can rerun the compileall manually
to check for the error message.
 Not a big issue, but I do not see that the few
additional statements hurt something.

I try to upload a patch that could be used for that purpose.