[ZCM] [ZC] 1478/ 6 Comment "test.py improvements"

Wed Aug 25 17:56:34 EDT 2004

Issue #1478 Update (Comment) "test.py improvements"
 Status Pending, Zope/bug medium
To followup, visit:
  http://collector.zope.org/Zope/1478

= Comment - Entry #6 by regebro on Aug 25, 2004 5:56 pm

Ehm, test.py --help is only marginally helpful, and that assumes that you have figured out that you are supposed to run it in the first place (which is far from obvious and not documented anywhere), and secondly, that you should run it via "zopectrl run". This is not mentioned in test.py help as of Zope 2.7.2, neither anywhere else as far as I can find out.

Come on guys, I have been using Zope for years. It should not need to take me whole friggin day to figure out how to run unittests. Zopewiki.org says that the hardest part is not writing them but figuring out ho to run them which it calls "a terryifying black art", so I'm clearly not the only one that have had troubles.

The documentation on this is WAY belowe usual Zope standards. That ought to tell you something. ;)

Bug days being kast fridays of the month, meaning the next bug day is in 24 hours and 4 mintes. Unfortunately I'm busy this time, so stop being funny and just try to update the current UNITTEST.txt so it is at least not as horrendously inorrect as it currently is. Oh, and include ZopeTestCase while you are at it. ;D

= Comment - Entry #5 by shh on Aug 25, 2004 5:01 pm

Chris, this was part of the --config-file feature, so it's on Zope-2_7-branch and trunk.

For docs I suggest 'test.py --help' :-)
= Comment - Entry #4 by regebro on Aug 24, 2004 5:38 am

Have the docs been updated too? svn.zope.org is still down, so it's hard to tell...
= Comment - Entry #3 by chrisw on Aug 24, 2004 4:29 am

Stephan, what branches of SVN/CVS was this solved in, and what versions of Zope is it due to land in?

Once answered, we can mark this bug as resolved :-)
= Comment - Entry #2 by shh on Aug 23, 2004 4:04 pm

FWIW, your #1 is no longer an issue with test.py from CVS/SVN.
= Request - Entry #1 by regebro on Aug 23, 2004 11:18 am

1. Trailing slashes on --libdir path prevents test.py from finding the tests. So "bin/zopectrl run test.py --libdir Products" will work, but "bin/zopectrl run test.py --libdir Products/" finds no tests. This is extra annoying since the tab/completion in most shells adds a trailing slash...

2. Finding out exactly HOW to run unittest in 2.7 was not exactly easy. The docs are completely outdated and makes no mention of how to run tests at all, it just has outdated references on how to write them (with references to the non-existing lib/python/unittest.py, for example). Even zopewiki.org calls running unit tests a "terrifying black art"...