[ZCM] [ZC] 1020/ 3 Comment "poor error reporting on product initialization failure under windows"

Fri Jul 30 15:58:36 EDT 2004

Issue #1020 Update (Comment) "poor error reporting on product initialization failure under windows"
 Status Accepted, Zope/bug medium
To followup, visit:
  http://zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1020

= Comment - Entry #3 by chrisw on Jul 30, 2004 3:58 pm

Do you have the commit revision number for the HEAD?
= Comment - Entry #2 by mcdonc on Jul 30, 2004 3:37 pm

Note that Fred fixed this symptom on the HEAD although it would be nice if we could backport his fixes to the 2.7 branch.
= Request - Entry #1 by mcdonc on Aug 16, 2003 12:34 pm

 Supporters added: chrism

When Zope 2.7+ starts as a Windows service, and is configured to run in debug mode, if a product fails to initialize, Zope refuses to start.  Unfortunately no product error info is written to the event log file due to the decision to defer writing to a logfile until after we've gotten to the point at which we can safely setuid.  (Note: this decision is somewhat absurd under Windows as it has no notion of setuiding anyway).

Relatedly, the runzope.bat file uses pythonw.exe to start Zope which (I believe) suppresses console output, so even if someone runs Zope manually, it's not clear that they'd see any product failure messages.