[ZCM] [ZC] 1565/11 Edit "monitor server not started"

Mon Nov 22 16:46:17 EST 2004

Issue #1565 Update (Edit) "monitor server not started"
 Status Pending, Zope/doc request low
To followup, visit:
  http://collector.zope.org/Zope/1565

= Edit - Entry #11 by efge on Nov 22, 2004 4:46 pm

 Changes: submitter email, edited transcript, importance (medium => low), classification (bug => doc request)
= Comment - Entry #10 by efge on Nov 22, 2004 4:45 pm

Debugging a server is a developer activity. It's different than HTTP or FTP and needs tighter security.

= Comment - Entry #9 by clbousssard on Nov 22, 2004 3:09 pm

I was'nt aware of the difference between initial user and emergency user.
The facts are :
- the script mkzopeinstance.py creates an inituser and no access file.
- http and ftp servers do'nt need this access file
- monitor server needs it
Perhaps, it's not a bug, but it's confusing. There should
be at least a comment in zope.conf, as you have to edit
zope.conf to enable the monitor server.
= Comment - Entry #8 by efge on Nov 21, 2004 6:54 pm

It's used to debug running zopes, and it works fine for me.
I use an access file with a password in clear, if that matters.

= Comment - Entry #7 by ajung on Nov 20, 2004 11:26 am

What is monitor really used for?

When I try to connect it fails all the time:

ajung at localhost:~/sandboxes/Zope-2_7-branch/Zope: python2.3 ./lib/python/ZServer/medusa/monitor_client.py localhost 2099
/opt/python-2.3.4/lib/python2.3/regsub.py:15: DeprecationWarning: the regsub module is deprecated; please use re.sub()
  DeprecationWarning)
Enter Password:
warning: unhandled connect event

= Comment - Entry #6 by efge on Nov 13, 2004 11:32 am

The current 2.7 branch still uses 'access' as the emergency user. See
  readUserAccessFile('access')
in AccessControl/User.py
You must be mistaken.

= Resubmit - Entry #5 by efge on Nov 13, 2004 10:47 am

Reopening until it's resolved.

= Comment - Entry #4 by efge on Nov 13, 2004 10:46 am

Could you expand on "the new policy is to keep information about the emergency user in the inituser file"? I wasn't aware of that.

= Comment - Entry #3 by clbousssard on Nov 13, 2004 9:09 am

Sorry, I was'nt clear enough. The emergency user _did_ exist, but as I understand was searched in the access file.  The acces file did'nt exist because the new policy is to keep information about the emergency user in the inituser file. So creating an access file as a link to the inituser file solves the problem
= Reject - Entry #2 by efge on Nov 10, 2004 12:22 pm

It complains that no emergency user exists, because it only works when an emergency user is defined (to use its password as a check).
So add one.

= Request - Entry #1 by clbousssard on Nov 4, 2004 6:17 am

On a fresh install (from Zope-2.7.3-0.tgz), monitor server refuse to start, complaining that no emergency user exists, linking inituser to access in the instance directory solves the problem. The other servers (http, ftp, webdav) seems to work well.