[ZCM] [ZC] 1525/ 1 Request "ZODBMountPoint should not monkey-patch ZODB"

Sun Oct 10 10:19:20 EDT 2004

Issue #1525 Update (Request) "ZODBMountPoint should not monkey-patch ZODB"
 Status Accepted, Zope/bug medium
To followup, visit:
  http://zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1525

= Request - Entry #1 by mcdonc on Oct 10, 2004 10:19 am

 Supporters added: chrism

In ZODBMountPoint/Mount.py, at startup time, a set of monkey patches to ZODB's Connection.py are applied.  This in part caused a problem detailed in collector #1350 (Zope 2.8 chokes under high load).

Going forward I'd like to reconcile the need to do ZODB monkey-patching from within ZODBMountPount.  I had actually forgotten it did this. :-(  The mounting features are now part of the Zope framework and thus can't easily be removed.  The monkey-patches seem to add the following behavior/features:

- provide a registry of "mounted" connections where
  each "mounted" connection has a reference to a "root"
  connection under which it is "mounted".

- Patch two existing Connection methods:

  _setDB

  also call _setDB on all 'mounted' connections.

  close

  also call close on all 'mounted' connections.

I suspect there are hooks in ZODB3.3 to vanquish the need for this monkey-patching.  If not, maybe we can add some.  I will investigate a bit more this morning.