[ZCM] [ZC] 1536/ 4 Comment "ClientStorage.__init__ ignores cache_size"

Wed Oct 13 22:24:06 EDT 2004

Issue #1536 Update (Comment) "ClientStorage.__init__ ignores cache_size"
 Status Accepted, Database/bug medium
To followup, visit:
  http://zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1536

= Comment - Entry #4 by tim_one on Oct 13, 2004 10:24 pm

Tres:  yes, of course.  "For now" meant "for now".  If Kitto wants some relief before 3.3.1 is released (for which I have no estimate -- 3.3 final has already gone out), plugging in another number is fine.  If he wants to thread it through the constructor, that's fine too, but is more work, untested, etc.
= Comment - Entry #3 by tseaver on Oct 13, 2004 10:42 pm

The ClientCache constructor still takes a 'size' argument, which
is passed through to the FileCache backing store constructor,
so we should be fine just passing the value through from the
ClientConnection constructor (I think).

That should be better than changing the Magic Number, no?
= Assign - Entry #2 by tim_one on Oct 13, 2004 7:36 pm

 Supporters added: tim_one

Oops!  You're right, of course.  MVCC required a new ZEO cache design, and the *intent* was always that we'd replace this prototype cache design entirely.  Alas, real life interfered, and that didn't happen.  For now, replace "10**6" with something you like <wink>.  If you have the disk space, I think 10**9 would make a lot more sense (i.e., the more space the better, within reason).
= Request - Entry #1 by Anonymous User on Oct 13, 2004 6:38 pm

ClientStorage.__init__, which is used with ZEO, seems to ignore the cache_size parameter.

Documentation indicates that this parameter can be used to set the size of the ZEO client's local disk-based cache, and that it defaults to 20MB. However, inspecting the code suggests that this parameter is completely ignored, and that ClientStorage always uses a 1MB cache.

Is this intentional? It seemed to have been introduced 9 months ago with the merge of MVCC-related code.