[ZCM] [ZC] 1751/ 1 Request "ZConfig hides real startup errors"

Sat Apr 9 14:08:52 EDT 2005

Issue #1751 Update (Request) "ZConfig hides real startup errors"
 Status Pending, Zope/bug medium
To followup, visit:
  http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1751

= Request - Entry #1 by andym on Apr 9, 2005 2:08 pm

In Zope/Startup/datatypes.py line 109, 110 it handles any import errors, by printing out a nice error message saying we could not import the package.

This is a real pain when you are starting up Zope, because it does not tell you the specific problem like a unicode error, some module missing or something like that. It really should be printing out the actual value of the error, at the moment we go and replace the masking raise with a simple raise eg:

   except ImportError:
#        raise ValueError, (print 'The object named by "%s" could not be imported' %  name
         raise # actually tell the user what happened.