[ZCM] [ZC] 1331/ 5 Wontfix "Request: Most Frequently used product selection cache"

Thu Jan 27 07:10:21 EST 2005

Issue #1331 Update (Wontfix) "Request: Most Frequently used product selection cache"
 Status Wontfix, Zope/feature low
To followup, visit:
  http://collector.zope.org/Zope/1331

= Wontfix - Entry #5 by chrisw on Jan 27, 2005 7:10 am

There doesn't seem to be any consensus on this.
Discussion died out last year.
This sounds like a wontfix to me...
= Comment - Entry #4 by efge on Nov 10, 2004 10:02 am

Where do you envision that the information about what types are used be stored ?
I propose to Defer this as nobody has any plans to implement it.

= Comment - Entry #3 by slinkp on May 27, 2004 10:05 am

I don't think this should be implemented unless it is configurable in zope.conf. Personally I'd want it disabled.

I must admit, in general some simple configurability of the ZMI would be nice...  maybe we'll have to wait for zope 3 :-\
= Comment - Entry #2 by leper on May 16, 2004 2:24 am

Hint:
 Use your keyboard to accelerate selection of items from long
 list widgets.  Mozilla (& clones) and IE both support type-ahead
 auto-selection in list widgets.

= Request - Entry #1 by salimfadhley on May 14, 2004 10:33 pm

Feature Request: A small change to the ZMI interface. Put most frequently used object types at the very top of the object selection list in the ZMI. This information should persist from one session to another.

Benefit: Find the objects you most frequently need to create more rapidly.

Rationale: Most projects use only a small subset of the range of objects/products that might be found in a Zope Instance. A pure alpha-sorted list is a logical but not particularly efficient way to select the same objects many times over.

Background: I often work on zope instances to which many products have been installed. While initially quite manageable, after a few big products have been installed (e.g. Plone, CMF, Silva) the number of objects in the object selection list starts to grow. Gradually, the list becomes a nuisance to navigate.

When I am placing my objects, things often take a lot longer than they should do to find in the object selection list because being alphabetically ordered the objects I need (e.g. Folder, RestructuredText Doc) are nearly allways somewhere in the middle of the list.

Wouldnt it be nice if the ZMI could keep track of the kinds of documents I have been creating recently and list them again right at the top of the object selection list.

A good example of how this works is in the Microsoft (yeah I know) Word font-selection drop down. Fonts used in the current document are listed twice. Once in alphabetic order, and additionally right at the top of the list to make it easy to find.