[ZCM] [ZC] 1827/ 4 Resolve "WebDAV Broken for Windows Web Folders Client"

Tue Jul 5 11:33:03 EDT 2005

Issue #1827 Update (Resolve) "WebDAV Broken for Windows Web Folders Client"
 Status Resolved, ZServer/bug medium
To followup, visit:
  http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1827

= Resolve - Entry #4 by Brian on Jul 5, 2005 11:33 am

Resolving - Brian replied to the list that
the fixer fixed the problem ;)

-BL
= Comment - Entry #3 by mcdonc on Jun 30, 2005 3:01 pm

Note that this document explains which dll versions are consistent with the version of webfolders that Mr. Tey had issues with:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;892211
= Comment - Entry #2 by mcdonc on Jun 30, 2005 2:55 pm

Hi Brian,

You could try MS' Web Folders "fixer" program...  see http://chapters.marssociety.org/webdav (beginning "Some Windows XP
machines have a broken Web Folders installation. Microsoft includes a Web Folders repair utility built in to Windows to correct the problem. Use the following steps to fix the problem:")

I'd also try it against a Zope 2.7 instance you've got to make sure it's a 2.8 bug and not a client issue.

If neither works, I'd suspect this:

http://teyc.editthispage.com/2005/06/02

If this appears to be the problem it would be good if you could confirm that you indeed do have the version of Web Folders that Mr. Tey says is problematic.  Nobody with checkin access who "cares" about DAV in Zope has seen this problem in the wild yet.
= Request - Entry #1 by briansp on Jun 30, 2005 2:47 pm

Uploaded:  "Z2.log"
 - http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1827/Z2.log/view
- Installed Zope 2.8.0-final fresh off the web site to WinXP SP2.
- Edited zope.conf as follows:

<webdav-source-server>
    # valid keys are "address" and "force-connection-close"
    address localhost:9000
    force-connection-close off
</webdav-source-server>

- Restarted through Windows Services Manager.
- Attempted to connect via Windows Web Folders client (famously buggy I know) to http://localhost:9001/
- Client reports "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid.  Please choose another.".
- Also tried: http://10.0.0.129:9001/ and http://127.0.0.1:9001/.  Also tried creating a subfolder via the manager, and enabling WebDAV permissions on it.

Regardless of what I do, the Windows client refuses to connect.

Using WebDrive (the quickest alternative client I could get my hands on) worked fine.

Connecting to Slide running under Tomcat on my desktop worked fine (http://127.0.0.1:8080/slide/).

Zope.log is attached.  Is this a bug or a feature?