[ZCM] [ZC] 1838/ 4 Comment "Admin Priviledges Needed for Installation"

Fri Jul 8 11:19:28 EDT 2005

Issue #1838 Update (Comment) "Admin Priviledges Needed for Installation"
 Status Pending, Database/bug medium
To followup, visit:
  http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1838

= Comment - Entry #4 by hairypalm on Jul 8, 2005 11:19 am

The message is: "You do not seem to have sufficient access rights on this machine to install this software".

I do have write permission into the Python tree, the only relevant places I don't have permissions are the system directories and some parts of the registry probably.  Python is in my user file area.  I installed python fine, I installed wxPython fine, I installed pythonwin (though I had to make a manual path adjustment).
= Comment - Entry #3 by tim_one on Jul 8, 2005 11:05 am

Just noting that the ZODB Windows installer is produced by running "python setup.py bdist_wininst" from the root of a ZODB checkout on Windows.  That is, it's exactly the same as any other disutils-produced Windows installer, so any problem here would have to be resolved in the Python project (it's really got nothing to do with ZODB).

If it's not possible for you to write into your Python's installation tree (can't tell -- there's no info here about _how_ the install failed), then there's no hope short of loosening permissions on the Python directory:  Python packages on Windows must be installed into subdirectories of the Python installation.
= Comment - Entry #2 by efge on Jul 8, 2005 10:47 am

What error messages do you get?
= Request - Entry #1 by hairypalm on Jul 8, 2005 10:30 am

Should not need admin rights to install ZODB on windows.  My company keeps my computer locked down and prevents me from writing to most directories on the system.  The ZODB windows installer requires for some reason that I be a privileged user.  I cannot install from source as I do not have a C compiler.

Please help -- I need a good storage system!