[ZCM] [ZC] 1847/ 2 Comment "unable to configure zeo client cache tracing"

Tue Jul 19 17:38:12 EDT 2005

Issue #1847 Update (Comment) "unable to configure zeo client cache tracing"
 Status Pending, Zope/bug medium
To followup, visit:
  http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1847

= Comment - Entry #2 by tim_one on Jul 19, 2005 5:38 pm

Yes, I believe cache tracing is wholly broken in ZODBs 3.3 and after, and at all levels.  I don't have current plans to look into this, so the best hope for relief is an interested volunteer(s).

Should note that the ZEO cache was rewritten entirely (to support MVCC) after the cache-trace stuff was added, and even if the latter still worked it would no longer have any direct relationship to the way the ZEO cache currently works.  Maybe everything related to cache-tracing should simply be thrown away?
= Request - Entry #1 by alzhimer on Jul 19, 2005 7:40 am

The documention about ZEO client cache tracing is outdated/misleading. In

    Zope/doc/ZEO/trace.txt

it is explained to set the environment variable ZEO_CACHE_TRACE; however, there seems to be no code left that would work that way. In fact, in

    Zope/lib/python/ZEO/ClientStorage.py,

where ClientCache of

    Zope/lib/python/ZEO/cache.py

is instantiated, there is no configurable way to enable the tracing. A simple workaround would be

    #self._cache = self.ClientCacheClass(cache_path, size=cache_size)
    self._cache = self.ClientCacheClass(cache_path, size=cache_size, trace=True)

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with the internals to know how to make this configurable via zope.conf.

By the way, not sure if I'm right, but it looks very much as if

    Zope/lib/python/ZEO/simul.py

isn't working as advertised - no matter what cache size I choose to simulate the collected trace, the calculated hitrate is always 0.0 %.

Cheers, Sascha