[Zope-dev] Namespace declaration using pkgutil vs pkg_resources

Baiju M mbaiju at zeomega.net
Wed Mar 11 08:24:54 EDT 2009

Hi All,
         Now we have 'setuptools' as a dependency for all packages.
(I guess this is to make Buildout happy ?)
So, it is certain that 'pkg_resources' module will be always
available as it is bundled with 'setuptools'.  If that is the case,
why do we need a fall-back import of 'pkgutil' to declare
a namespace package?

So instead of:

  try:
      import pkg_resources
      pkg_resources.declare_namespace(__name__)
  except ImportError:
      import pkgutil
      __path__ = pkgutil.extend_path(__path__, __name__)

Just this line would be enough to declare a namespace:

  __import__('pkg_resources').declare_namespace(__name__)

Am I missing something ?

Regards,
Baiju M