[Zope-Perl] caveats installing zope-perl on Solaris

Harry Danilevsky hdanilevsky@siichi.com
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 11:18:21 -0500

I finally built perl/python combination, learning
couple of caveats along the way which I thought I might share.

My platform is Sun Solaris 2.7, gcc egcs-2.91.57

1. When I built Perl 5.6 I used pretty much all defaults,
including "use Perl's own  malloc()" . That unfortunately
seems to be a mistake for Perl/Python combination, because it causes a core
dump
as soon as you say "import perl", and stack trace
shows it to happen in malloc(). When I rebuilt Perl
disabling "usemymalloc" the problem disappeared.

2. python setup.py build (or install) wants to use
ld to create perl.so. The problem is, it really
should use gcc (and I use gcc, not Sun cc)
not ld, so that gnu C library will be used later, not Sun library
(if I use ld I get unresolved references, e.g. __floatdidf)
This has nothing to do with perl/python, but rather distutils.
Is there some config parameter I can set to tell distutils
to use gcc, not ld as linking command ?

Harry Danilevsky
harry@siichi.com