[Zope-Perl] Beta 3, Book etc.

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:30:37 -0800

Gisle Aas wrote:

> Michel Pelletier <michel@digicool.com> writes:
>
> > Perl methods don't seem to be synchronized with the latest version of
> > python methods in that:
> >
> >   1. 'self' is passed as an argument instead of a magic variable binding
> >
> >   2. There are no magic variable bindings (context, etc...)
>
> Correct.
>
> > This syncing may not be desireable, I don't know.  For now, the book
> > documents the 'self' first argument method but you (collectivly) may
> > want to consider changing the behavior to sync with Py meths.
>
> The behaviour of perl methods should change to be compatible with
> python methods (eventually).
>
> > I remember sending you a recent cvs checkout of py methods to see the new
> > behavior, did you get that?
>
> Yes, I got that one.
>
> > I can send you another if you'd like.
>
> I would actually like to see a written spec on how this is supposed to
> work.  Perhaps your book could be just that :-)

Well that's a bit beyond the scope of this book, but I see your point.
What I think you're asking for is a technical description of bindings
and their justifications.  I've cc:ed Evan, author of PMs, perhaps he
has such a beast or can elaborate.

> >                                         For behavior of the new
> > methods and an explanation of the binding etc, see chapter 8 of the
> > book:
> >
> > http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/ZB/ScriptingZope.html

<snip edits>

Thank you!  Really, we were worried a lot about our accuracy in this
chapter w/ perl.  I'll apply your fixes today.

> > Next, we are renaming python methods by running a poll this week.  I
> > don't know if perl methods are going to fall under the same renaming
> > policy.  What do you all think?
>
> To me it is kind of obvous that perl methods ought to follow the name
> scheme, just s/python/perl/ in what you eventually decide.

Cool, more news on that, probably sometime this week.

> > Next, we don't know if we should provide installation istructions in the
> > book or not for perl methods.  Right now it is a bit painful and it
> > might be better to just provide a link to installtion documentation.  if
> > this is the case, we need to write that documentation and figure out the
> > cannoical URL for it.
>
> I would not include something like that in a book.  It is surely
> something that will change.  I hope to get the 'pyperl' stuff into
> ActivePerl/ActivePython at some point and that should take care of
> most of the painfulness.  But this also depends on having a Zope that
> is happy together with Python 2.0.

The target Zope release is 2.3, which is also rumoured to be 2.0
friendly, but I'm not certain.  I'll cross my fingers.

-Michel