[Zope-Perl] Python and Perl scripts

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 19:18:43 -0400 (EDT)

On 19 Oct 2000, Gisle Aas wrote:

> Michel Pelletier <michel@digicool.com> writes:
>
> > Well, Jim, Evan, Brian and I pow-wowed yesterday and came up with an
> > interesting change.  The world 'Method' is too overlaoded, as it means
> > too much to too many people.  Also, Python Methods don't work like
> > methods in python, which was my argument, but they are very useful and
> > there are sound reasons for them working like they do (which J, E and B
> > convinced me of yesterdat).  We have decided to change the name of
> > Python Methods to something else, the current candidate being 'Python
> > Script'.

I, for one, cannot think of a better name than "* methods".  They
*are* zope methods, composed in python.  I do not see the reasoning
behind the objections.  The question is not whether Zope's "Python
Methods" work the same way as methods do in python, but rather,
whether they work like methods, in zope!

I hate "Python Script".  It utterly fails to convey the point that the
things *do* work as methods, not scripts.  Now, i know i have haven't
been paying close attention - is there a way to use them not as
methods?

And look at the company you're invoking - JavaScript, VBScript, etc.
Or possibly even worse, direct dissonance with the "* Script" in MS'
scripting engine (whatever it's now being called) uses.  Do you really
want to conjure these parallels?

> >                                             Python Methods have five
> > special variables (defined on the bindings tab) that get created in the
> > namespace of the method.  Should perl methods work the same way and not
> > have special variables passed in as arguments?
>
> They should probably work the same.  The PythonMethods I have does not
> have any "bindings tab".  Is there anywhere I can pick up some newer
> version.
>
> >                                              This would probably be
> > more consistent with the Python model, and since 'self' will probably
> > not be the name of the variable bound to either the container or the
> > context it should be more explicit for perl methods also.
>
> perl methods should be as close to python methods as they can.

I emphatically agree with this.  Having commonly formed method slots
into which you can fit routines written in any (supported) language
seems quite cogent.  The features of the plugs should be the same,
even better when they're as useful as the binding controls.

--
Ken
klm@digicool.com