[Zope-Perl] zope perl

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:39:59 -0500

> > I wonder how
> > many Perl-type people know about it outside of activestate?
>
> Probably not alot unfortunately. Its not just a simple matter of reading
the
> API either, I think the
> sort of narratives and how-to's on zope.org really help a lot of beginners
> and this is where I can help.

Go for it!  I've added some docs to your Wiki in the way of a small sample
app, as well.
Gisle may nix the (mis?)feature that allows it to work, but until he does,
it's
something.. :-)

> > Brian pointed out that one of the sort of "killer" apps for zoperl would
> be
> > an adapter that would let folks use their existing CGI-using Perl
scripts
> > from within Zope.  I'm putzing around now trying to figure out how hard
> this
> > would be.  I've gotten as far as redirecting stdout and returning the
> > rendering of a simple script to Zope.  :^)
>
> Its pretty easy to take an existing perl script, turn it into a module and
> then run it. Are you thinking of adding a wrapper around an existing
script
> so its simply a matter of saying here, use this script no module fiddling?

Yes.  It'd be nice for a Zope object to sort of act as a proxy for complex
multipage
Perl CGI apps, where you could basically call the CGI script with a proper
environment,
capture its results, and return them to a browser, where URL paths exposed
on the page are
munged into ones which use the proxy object.

Then again, I ask myself, why not use Apache?  :-)