[Zope] Zope security alert and 2.1.7 update [*important*]

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 17:26:18 -0400

Hello all,

We have recently become aware of an important security issue
that affects all released Zope versions including the recent
2.2 beta 1 release.

The issue involves an inadequately protected method in one of
the base classes in the DocumentTemplate package that could allow
the contents of DTMLDocuments or DTMLMethods to be changed
remotely or through DTML code without forcing proper user
authorization.

A Zope 2.1.7 release has been made that resolves this issue for
Zope 2.1.x users. This release is available from Zope.org:

  http://www.zope.org/Products/Zope/2.1.7/

A patch is also available if it is not feasible to update your
Zope installation at this time (the patch is based on 2.1.6):

  http://www.zope.org/Products/Zope/2.1.7/DT_String.diff

If you are evaluating any of the recent 2.2 alpha or beta releases,
you should apply the patch noted above if your site is accessible
by untrusted clients. A forthcoming 2.2 beta 2 release will contain
the fix for this issue.

While we know of no instances of this issue being used to exploit a
site, we *highly* recommend that any Zope site that is accessible by
untrusted clients take the appropriate mitigation steps immediately.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909