[Zope] Python, Win2k and LFS-support

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Tue, 01 Oct 2002 16:39:18 -0400

Johan Carlsson [Torped] wrote:

> Hi all,
> I just realized Python doesn't support large file systems in Windows
> 2000.
> For living in the illusion it did it's a brute awakening.
>
> I didn't find much about it by googling, can anybody confirm this?
> Are there any Win32 versions of Python that could support this
> or is it not possible at all?

No windows version of Python 2.1 supports large files; the support for
large files on Windows was added in Python 2.2, and no backport was done
to 2.1.

The reason has to do with the lack of large file APIs in the stdio
compatibility APIs on win32  --  in order to get LFS working you have to
use win32 apis directly, which Python 2.1 doesn't know how to do.