Program translation useful for single-language sites. (was Re: [Zope3-dev] Picking the language at product instantiation)

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 08 Jul 2002 20:21:52 -0400

> First, program translation and content translation are a lot more
> different than many people realize. One way they are different is in
> application.
>
> Program translation is useful for both single- and multiple-language
> sites.  Programs may be deployed in many single language sites with
> different languages.  I bet that most sites are single-language and
> would benefit a lot from program translation even if there is no
> content translation. I suspect a job board application will often be
> deployed for single-language sites.
>
> Content translation is really beneficial for multi-lingual sites. I
> suspect, however, that multi-lingual sites are much rarer than
> single-language sites.

Agreed on all points (assuming you agree that the translation we did
for the job board was program translation).

I was just pointing out that the job board demo currently picks a
language based on the language preference of the viewer (as set in the
Accept-language HTTP header).  Instead, the language should be
specified (somehow) by the site admin.