[Zope3-dev] Re: may help with documentation

Simon Michael simon@joyful.com
Fri, 04 Apr 2003 10:52:30 -0800

Stephan Richter <stephan.richter@tufts.edu> writes:
> On Friday 04 April 2003 08:27, Steve Alexander wrote:
> > > Nope, not at all. BTW, I edit all my Wiki structured text in Emacs, since
>> > it helps you a lot with the layout.

I notice there's a version of ExternalEditor installed on zope.org, but
it's not the latest and/or WikiForNow doesn't have the fixes needed to
support it. If someone wants to get this working before nzo, I think
upgrading EE and replacing ZWikiPage.py:PUT() with the latest from
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/zwiki/zwiki/ZWikiPage.py?rev=0.344&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
should do it.

>> > 1. We use (re)structured text for all documentation, be it Wikis or CVS
>> > files.
>>
>> Is it possible to get the wiki implementation on dev.zope.org to use
>> reST by default, with STX still available for existing pages?

On current dev.zope.org, I'm not sure. The wiki code needs a function it
can call to format RST text. I think this was done by Andreas in a future
zope or branch. But WikiForNow assumes STX throughout as I recall and it
might be pretty messy to change, especially without requiring all zope.org
wiki pages to be converted to RST. Ken might know more.

With Zwiki/nzo it will be easy - copy one of the render_stx... methods,
replace the STX call with the RST call, add the new page type to
ZWIKI_PAGE_TYPES and the editform. Old pages will keep working and people
can start creating/converting to RST at will.

Performance and usability impacts are less certain.