[Zope3-dev] i18n, unicode, and the underline

Stephan Richter stephan.richter@tufts.edu
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 13:17:19 -0400

On Sunday 13 April 2003 09:17, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> I think custom-built forms right now (not those using schema/forms) would
> deliver 8 bit strings to the application logic. We need to make sure that
> people are discouraged from doing so, as it can lead to confusing bugs as
> soon as these strings leak into application code -- they need to be
> converted to unicode as soon as they enter the application.

This already working. Everything coming in (wherever it comes from) is
converted to unicode on the request level. See BrowserRequest.

> Likewise
> for relational database adapters; I wonder what they do currently.. If
> they pass latin-1 strings directly into the rest of Zope 3 then that's
> wrong, for instance.

I dunno, whether Kapil took care of this. If it is returning non-unicode
strings than this should be considered a *serious* bug.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter