[Zope3-dev] Goodbye

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 09 Jul 2003 10:24:54 -0400

Dear Zope 3 developers,

Last night at OSCON I announced that I am moving to California.  I
have accepted a new job at Elemental Security, a security software
startup in San Mateo.  You may have heard of one of the founders, Dan
Farmer, who is the (co-)author of several well-known free security
checking programs: Satan, Titan and The Coroner's Toolkit.

Elemental is a brand new company, and I can't say much yet about the
product, except that it will be aimed at enterprise security and use
Python.  I'm very excited about working with Dan on its design and
implementation.

I'm also excited about moving to California, which has long been a
dream of mine.  I'm looking forward to getting together with the many
local Python users and developers once I'm settled; right now, my life
and that if my family is total chaos because we're trying to find a
home and move into it by August 1st.

I will still have time for Python (it's in my contract) and I will
continue to lead Python's development.  The other PythonLabs folks:
Fred Drake, Jeremy Hylton, Barry Warsaw and Tim Peters, are staying at
Zope, by the way.

But unfortunately, this move pretty much ends my involvement in Zope
3.  I've signed a contributors agreement, but with the new job and my
Python work I don't expect to have much time for Zope.  So this is
also a goodbye, of sorts.  I've enjoyed working with many of you, Zope
3 developers, and I expect we'll run into each other at some future
Python event.

In the mean time, I'm here at OSCON with a busy schedule and limited
access to my email, and the following weeks I will be in transition,
so please be kind if I don't reply immediate when you write me.

PS. guido@zope.com no longer works.  Please use guido@python.org!