[Zope3-dev] Re: Page Architecture: Term suggestions

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Fri Dec 3 11:38:40 EST 2004

Tonico Strasser wrote:
[pagelet]
> But found some documents with Google:

Yeah, I googled around too and found much of these things too, but it
doesn't seem very coherent..

> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sakSDK/sak_pagelet.asp>

Seems to define it all as something that can fit in an iframe. Not what
we want, I think.

> <http://www.benorama.com/coldfusion/patterns/part4.htm>

This has an interesting overview of various ways this is called
(portlet, iViews, web parts) and then goes into cold fusion stuff. I
think this is somewhat is closer to what we want, right?

> <http://docs.sun.com/source/817-4801/taglib28.html>

This defines a pagelet as a JSP fragment. It then talks about some JSP
level tags. This would be equivalent to calling a DTML or ZPT page to
become part of another page, I think (especially the DTML variety as
scope seems to be inherited..not sure). It doesn't look as sophisticated
as what can be done with ZPT macros.

> <http://www.hostgold.com.br/hospedagem-sites/o_que_e/pagelet>

This seems to imply a pagelet happens in its own (i)frame.

> <http://www.urbancode.com/products/pagelets/index.jsp>

Some kind of Java/JSP framework I do not quite understand.

> <http://xmlterm.sourceforge.net/pagelets.html>

A way to embed foreign web pages in the XMLTerm environment.

 From this, I suspect nobody really knows that the term 'pagelet' really
means. There's no real standard definition. It all is about including
some HTML + stuff in another "page", but the way it's done is vastly
different.

The term 'portlet' is a bit better defined, as there's this whole Java
standard. It probably will talk about a lot of Java-stuff not applicable
to Python, however, but may be of inspirational use.

I think in our usage 'pagelet' is very close to 'widget' too; you
compose a page from a bunch of UI widgets, some of which can be
prepackaged and do very sophisticated stuff.

Regards,

Martijn