[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope X3 3.0.0 alpha 1 released

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri May 21 02:45:27 EDT 2004

Terry Hancock wrote:
> On Thursday 20 May 2004 08:17 am, Stephan Richter wrote:
>
>>On Thursday 20 May 2004 03:54, Bogdan M. Maryniuck wrote:
>>
>>>But nor Z3 is so much wonderfull:
>>>no DTML (arrgghh!!)
>>
>>That tells me you have not even looked at Zope 3, since DTML is there, since
>>about 2 years. And I know that for a fact because I ported it.
>

> That's happy news -- I'm one of those crazy people who still likes DTML, myself. ;-)

Note that DTML support in Z3 is *very* basic, though. There's no
infrastructure whatsoever for equipping classes with views written in
DTML. Even if there were, one would lack all the special traversing
machinery to access view and resource namespaces (e.g. for standard
template layout). We hope to fix this in X3.1 or so, when we introduce
DTML2. This will allow scripting for markup-less views, such as CSS,
JavaScript and the like.

The only DTML we have in Z3 right now is a dull "DTML Page" content
type, which is roughly equivalent to "DTML Document" in Zope2, and
SQLScript, another content type which is roughly equivalent to
SQLMethods in Zope2.

Those are bad examples of content types, really, because they don't
really store content; they provide executable code. Using them is widely
discouraged if you want to do any serious development with Zope3. They
are merely there for people we call "scripters".

> BTW, folks have been discussing the change of the Zope 3 "interface" module
> to be distinct from the Zope 2 "Interface" (i.e. both can work simultaneously and
> they don't attempt to use the same "__implements__" attribute).
>
> Is that change in the X3 3.0.0 release?  Or will I have to pull from CVS?

Yes, it is in X3 alpha1. Also, we don't use CVS anymore. We use
subversion now: http://svn.zope.org/

Cheers,

Philipp