[Zope3-dev] Using PythonPage as "script" (example modification)

Stephan Richter stephan.richter at tufts.edu
Mon May 31 09:38:27 EDT 2004

On Monday 24 May 2004 18:18, Iwan van der Kleyn wrote:
> First of all, congrats to you all for Zope3. It's turning into an
> amazing piece of work.

Thanks, I am sorry I have not responded earlier, but I was very busy last
week.

> Where Zope2 is rather baroque, Zope 3 seems to be rather puritan in its
> outlook on things. TTW development now seems to be looked upon with
> abhorrence, for example :-) Seriously,  I consider TTW not just to be
> for 'scripters" (whoever that may be), but especially suited for rapid
> prototyping.  In Zope2 I can create a minimally functional stub site
> really quickly with some ztp's, scripts and lots of sticky tape. I'm
> missing that in Zope3 (scripting functionality is mentioned in TODO.txt)

We agree. We love TTW for rapid prototyping as well.

> However, I checked out the PythonPage component and discovered it was
> rather easy to modify. So I modified it to have a PythonPage evaluated
> from within a ZTP tal expression. So I can now call a script from a ztp
> and iterate over its returnvalues with tal:repeat etc etc.
>
> You can find the example implementation on
> http://zope.org/Members/ivdkleyn/index_html/document_view. It contains
> some additions to the unit/doctests.

Feel free to check in the change.

> I realize such a component goes against the grain of the component
> arhcitecture. But it facilitates easy scripting and with minimal effort.
>
> Any comments or thoughts?

Note that Zope X3 3.0 will not support the scripter. We will leave that for
later versions.

While it is true that TTW scripting is a bit against our development model, we
see the need to support it and provide ways to migrate to a more formal
development.

Regards,
Stephan
--