[Zope3-dev] Demo packages

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Nov 17 09:20:42 EST 2004

Peter Mayne wrote:
> Now that ZX3 is 1.0, I'd like to put my demo packages somewhere as
> examples.
>
> Are there any guidelines for demo packages?

Not written. Someone should do that. Here are some opinions:

- They should follow current best practices.  In particular,
   documention tests as described in the current tutorial.
   The documentation should describe the important aspects of the demo.

- Demos should be top-level packages to keep them simple.
   Undortunately, do to a Python package missfeature, that means
   that the package name needs to differ from the names of any
   modules in the package (e.g. buddydemo and buddy).  Of course
   having "demo" in the package name makes the intent clear.

 > I'm thinking of package
> names in particular: "app.demo" for instance.

If the package doesn't require anything that Zope doesn't
require, then I suggest putting it in src, so that it gets
refactored with everything else. Otherwise, it should be a
top-level directory in the repository, following the standard
subversion project-layout rules.

> (This would possibly be better in zope4.user, but that newsgroup isn't
> showing up on news.gmane.org yet.)

Besides, I think this is a core developer question.