[Zope3-dev] Need a proposal

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Sep 29 11:10:24 EDT 2004

Let's stop discussing changing the semantics of the current I18n
approach.  I'm not interested in adding implicit guesses to an
otherwise explicit translation approach.

I would be open to a small proposal to avoid the message id
ambiguity that Martijn brought up. In particular, I think we should
disallow the use of message ids in i18n:translate if the data to be
translated is dynamic.  Unfortunately, there are a number of interesting
edge cases (within this larger edge case) that would need to be
addressed.

More fundamental changes (e.g. deciding that message ids should
always be translated within some context, or that message ids
should not function as strings) need proposals that do a good job
of laying out a philosophy behind the change, providing a clear
description of the impact and addressing backward compatability.

I'll be happy to common on those proposals and to support them
is there is some sort concensus for them.  I don't have time to
keep going around and around in this email thread.