[Zope3-dev] RDFLib and Zope 3

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Tue Aug 23 12:49:23 EDT 2005

Michel (and anyone else with experience with RDFLib on the list), I
recently looked at RDFLib (http://rdflib.net/) and came away (after
an hour or so) with a good first impression.

My biggest disappointment was that, from the perspective of a Zope 3
developer, using it alongside other Zope 3 indexes (and other intid-
based data structures) meant that I would have to externally convert
to and from RDF in order to merge results and convert the RDF URIs to
objects.  It would be much more efficient if I could have an RDF
resource class that represented an intid, and even more efficient if
I could get IFBTrees back directly from searches that somehow
included the intids.  Then I could leverage the relationship and
keyword capabilities of RDFLib while also merging results efficiently
with other index-like data structures in Zope 3.  The intid-specific
resources could even have stable URI representations without too much
trouble, so that they could be exported and imported with RDFLib, if
desired.

Have you thought about that use case?  If one used a variation of
your back end that assigned intids to non-intid-based resources like
URIs and Literals and stored the relationships via intids, you could
store the data as IFBTrees and offer up an API to get "raw" IFBTree
results.  Any obvious ways that would be a problem?  Does it feel
reasonable to you?  Any suggestions?

I'm generally interested in RDFLib, your use of it, and your hopes
for it, if you feel like holding forth. :-)

Gary