[Zope3-dev] Ajax in Zope 3

Tarek Ziadé tziade at nuxeo.com
Tue Dec 6 17:35:26 EST 2005

Gary Poster wrote:

> Agree 100% with Benji.
>I have two basic bits on the server side that I want to see--and that  I want to see usable by widget code,
> portlet code, etc.
>- I want a standard server side traversal story to address nested  page components, so that, for instance, >client-side code for a widget  in a portlet can have a reliable way of addressing itself on the server.
>
>- I want this approach to be part of--or at least not get in the way  of--a standard pattern for persisting the >state of nested page  components.
>
>I have old proposals for this, and some revisions of them on the  basis of conversations with Jim, Fred, Stephan, and Benji.  I'll try  to get some bandwidth to update the proposals at least.  I really  wanted to have time to test how the proposal would work within the  new widget implementation I have, but I have other priorities on my  time.
> FWIW, as far as Ajax libraries, ZC has chosen mochikit so far.  It  has a lot going for it.

I don't know if Javascript is mature but I do know we all do javascript/ajax in our customer apps
today because it is already enhancing user experience, and we are able at this time to come up with common
needs and ways.

I was talking about a toolkit because it seems that most of the time there's a cohesion between a
web framework, its community, and a js toolkit:
even though they are independant, they kinda grow together because the web application
feeds the toolkit with use cases, the community share knowledge and experience on both,
and the toolkit kinda give the manners to do things in the web app UIs

But anyway, it seems wise to start up with server side ajax views and other helper.

I am looking forward for the proposal revision :)

Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | Nuxeo R&D (Paris, France)
CPS Plateform : http://www.cps-project.org