[Zope3-dev] xml import / export in z2 & z3

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Dec 7 09:18:22 EST 2005

Andreas Jung wrote:

>> I'm about to write an xml importer for importing simple data (properties,
>> dictionaries). Exporting is easy, importing is trickier because a parser
>> is required.
>>
>> Is there any prefered framework for doing such things in zope3 (zope2)?

> Sax or DOM...it depends on the usecase and the algorithmic approach you
> take. Sax is fast but you have to build your own datastructures, DOM is
> slow, takes a lot of memory but it gives you a tree to perform any fancy
> operation on it..

DOM is also not particularly Pythonic (neither is SAX, but it is
relatively simple at least). You could also look into ElementTree (or
lxml, which implements that API too). ElementTree (though not yet lxml)
also introduces iterparse, which is a kind of streaming version of the
ElementTree API.

ElementTree's API is a much nicer way to work with XML from Python than
DOM. Also it's more lightweight than even MiniDOM.

Regards,

Martijn