[Zope3-dev] RFC: abolishing python: expressions in ZPT TALES

Jeff Shell eucci.group at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 23:53:27 EST 2005

-1.

I use them very rarely, and expect to use them less with Viewlets now
in the picture. But there are still little situations where Python
expressions are handy, especially on big-macro templates where there's
not a backing view. I'm not advocating programming in page templates,
but there are some boolean or quick-transformation (ensuring a
potential iterator/generator is a list and has length) that needs to
be done out in this phantom land.

As I mentioned above, I really believe that Viewlets and Viewlet
Managers will help with these big complex templates which provide the
look and feel of the front page or the basic template. But I know that
sometimes, when putting those pages together from a designers input on
a tight deadline with multiple browsers to test, the quick math and
other small expressions we can squeeze into those spots have been a
life-saver, even in recent weeks.