[Zope3-dev] Re: New Software Space UI

Paul Everitt paul at zope-europe.org
Thu Jan 6 03:33:48 EST 2005

I agree with Jim's point about asking more basic questions.  First and
foremost, is this UI aimed at someone who already knows the CA or
doesn't?  And regarding their sophistication, is this someone more like
Stephan or, errr, more like me? :^)

If it is someone more like me, and someone that might not have learned
the CA yet, perhaps we have to take one step farther back.

At the EuroPython sprint in Sweden, Jim encouraged a couple of us to
find two people that represented the Site Manager (or Site Developer)
audience.  We did, and we asked them some questions.  Alas, their needs
were steered largely in the direction of content management services ("I
need a simple way to find my workflows, my metadata definitions, etc.")

Still, thinking back on that conversation, I really doubt this actor
would say: "What I *really* need is a simple way to add a utility."
IMO, they aren't going to know the relationships between utilities,
adapters, multi-adapters, interfaces, etc.  They might understand views,
or at least pages (but likely not the class that is bound to a page as
the controller).  They might also understand modules, but that sounds a
bit risky too.

After Sweden, I wrote up some use cases and did a UI mockup and sent it
to one of the people we interviewed.  They liked it, but I still felt it
was a failure for two reasons:

1) It was functional, but for content management.  It isn't clear to me
that this is a good line of reasoning for Zope 3, which is bigger than
CMS.  Alas, we'll have a hard time finding non-CMS "Site Managers" to
help us, and even if we do, we might have a hard time find similar patterns.

2) I personally don't understand the total zen of interfaces, adapaters,
utilities, views, and friends.  The big picture is overwhelming.  I'd
still like to help on various little pictures, if someone else manages
the big picture.

--Paul