[Zope3-dev] Encoding of the PageTemplateFile

Andreas Reuleaux reuleaux at web.de
Thu Jul 14 19:25:38 EDT 2005

OK, I can live with that. But then I want the possibility to
suppress the xml declaration when the page is sent to the
browser, because otherwise IE will go into quirks mode.

Say I want to use utf-8 in my page template, I can do so right now:
I just have start my page template with an xml declaration:

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  here comes my page template, possibly with umlauts etc.

You are correct in that there is no need to specify
something like

  <browser:page
    template="template.pt"
    encoding="utf-8"
    />

But the situation right now is, that then the page template
is delivered to the browser starting with this xml declaration

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  rest of rendered page template

which causes IE to go into quirks mode, as I pointed out,
here is the link again:

   http://www.communitymx.com/content/article.cfm?cid=85FEE

This means, right now it is not possible to write pages in utf-8
e. g., have them delivered to browser and interpreted by the browser
(say IE) in standards mode.

Some configuration to suppress the xml declaration is needed,
i. e. I want the output sent to the browser to be:

  just rest of rendered page template
  (no xml declaration in the first line)

can probably be a configuration on a zope instance or add-on
level, i. e. doesn't have to be a configuration on an individual
page template by page template level.

-Andreas