[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope X3.1 Feature Freeze

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Mar 18 10:00:30 EST 2005

alan runyan wrote:
> < feature freeze announce />
>
> congrats
>

>>P.S.  Now that that the decision has been made to include Zope 3
>>       in Zope 2.8, I'd really prefer that Zope 2.8 use X3.1 code,
>>       not X3.0 code. In general, having code shared by Zope 2 and
>>       Zope 3 will complicate deprecation, probably increasing the
>>       length of time we must keep backward-compatibility code.
>>       I'd like to try to keep the Zope 3 code used in Zope 2 and
>>       the Zope 3 code used in Zope 3 in sync as much as possible.
>

> Jim,
>
> We are working feverishly as a community to get Zope 2.8 tests running
> with CMF 1.4, CMF 1.5, Five and Zope 3X (a released version).  In fact
> the sprint is attempting to make a unofficial release of Zope 2.8 in the
> next few minutes.  Quite a few people are wanting to get 2.8 out of the
> door and the work that we have done is freshly baked; almost no one wants
> to wait any longer.

I understand.  Unfortunately, there's work that has to be done by
me before 2.8 can be released and I won't be able to get it done
till mid April at this soonest.

> Please lets get Zope 2.8 out of the door with X3.0 because that is the
> released software.

My intent is that X3.1 wuld be released at about the same time, as 2.8,
so the X3.1 version of the software will be released. Of course,
if it was in 2.8, it would be released. :)

> If X3.1 *does* come out in April we can make a Zope 2.8.1
> release with fixes + X3.1 (?).

No, because X3.1 has new features.

> The chances of people outside the scope of hardcore Zope developers using
> 2.8 + Zope 3 in the next 45 days is quite low.  But we need to get a Zope 2.8
> out ASAP because there are significant changes and delaying it each day
> is a day that users do not get to test it ;-(.

OK, so maybe 2.8 should not include Zope 3 at all and aim for  2.9
in the same timeframe as X3.1.  I doubt this makes much difference because 2.8
is not yet ready to go out.

BTW, I'll note that the largest remaining task of mine for Zope 2.8
will be figuring out what the heck to do about the fact that Archetypes
apparently uses the ancient long-deprecated old BTrees modules. Unfortunately,
it's hard for people to know that they were deprecated.

> As a company who developed a system using Zope 3X before it was 3X - waiting
> was a huge PAIN.  People at the sprint are feeling similiar pain with the
> release process; when your comment about Zope 2.8 shipping with X3.1 came
> across the wire - there was a collective sigh.  People are wanting faster
> release cycles, so our beta users can start testing new features; and the
> guru companies/integrators can start putting 2.8 in production (mainly so
> they can use zope 3/five).  It going into Production is *exceedingly* important
> because as we experienced the Zope 2.7 first release was wobbly.  We need to
> get 2.8 into production ASAP.

I have said over and over and *over* again that I want faster release cycles too.

Having to support *two* versions of Zope 3 will add significantly to the
Zope 3 development effort.  This will have the effect of slowing down
Zope 3 releases, as we will effectively be making more of them.

(Tim is undoubtly saying: "Ah, Jim now understands my pain." ;)

It's extremely important, IMO, that the Z2 and Z3 versions of the Zope 3
code be in sync.