[Zope3-dev] Zope X3.1 Feature Freeze

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Sat Mar 19 12:38:28 EST 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 10:26:29AM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> I know it's due to a lack of communication, but Jim, you almost
>> looked this week as if you were actively trying to obstruct a Zope
>> 2.8 release. zpkgtools, Zope X3.1 instead of ZopeX3.0, ZODB 3.4
>> instead of ZODB 3.3, and so on. This while Zope 2.8 was originally
>> supposed to be released a year ago. It all made me feel rather
>> frustrated, and less likely to commit resources to this in the
>> future.
>
> I'm sorry you feel that way.  I just want relatively clean releases.
> ZODB 3.4 is needed to fix ZClasses and ZClasses are needed for
> backward compatibility.  zpkgtools or something like it is needed to
> have a release that doesn't include unneeded software.  It would have
> been particularly important if you had tried to use the X3.0 branch
> rather than the release as you would have been releasing software
> that wasn't ready for release.  I don't make these things up.

I know, they're all valid points. Then again, I believe my points are
valid too. My goal is to look for the optimal path, with minimal
dependency on scarce resources, people, releases, etc, to make this work.

I think we've worked around the zpkgtools issue (which would have taken
us far more than the amount of time we had this week to integrate into
Zope 2.8, I believe), by weeding out a Zope X3 branch that only includes
the packages that are in Zope X3.0.

As to ZClass fixes, I for one never was suggesting we release without
these fixes. The ZODB 3.4 situation is more clear now, and I hope we can
get that holdup out of the way relatively quickly.

As to Zope X3.1, I think that one is far too risky to involve in this
process now -- too many dependencies. A large chance it'll delay
everthing. Five needs updating and testing. I think we'll just disagree
on this one.

Quite apart from that I very much want there to be a Zope X3.1 soon. At
the sprint we had quite frequently the discussion whether things should
be based on the trunk on Zope X3.0; if you used trunk it wouldn't work
with Five as is, etc, but trunk as nice features, etc. But I also
believe we should solve this problem and synch up in the Zope 2.9
development cycle, not now.

Regards,

Martijn